REPORTS TO Administrator of Community-Based Employment and Community Pre-vocational Services
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK Monday-Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm; Flexible to the needs of the Agency.
QUALIFICATIONS Bachelors Degree in Human Services, Psychology, Education or Health related discipline with 2 years experience in an OPWDD, OMH, OCFS, DOH or SED program. OR Associates Degree in Human Services, Psychology or Health related discipline with 3 years experience in an OPWDD, OMH, OCFS, DOH or SED position.
RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS None.
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE Authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE Responsible to assist individuals (referrals) with employment-related psychological or physical challenges. Determine clients readiness for employment, assess their skills, and collaborate on clients' cases with other stakeholders. Work closely with Community Services office, school districts and other OMH providers to provide support and guidance to those seeking to be gainfully employed or achieve other vocational success.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Develop a centralized employment database to explore opportunities with clients.
- Identify, locate and secure sites for job placement, apprenticeships, volunteering and/or internships.
- Speak with potential employers and clients about employment opportunities and career direction.
- Helps clients identify personal interests and life goals.
- Conduct career assessments and assist in exploration activities.
- Assists clients in planning strategic career moves and developing leadership skills.
- Finds new employment opportunities for clients.
- Reviews clients resumes and cover letters and provides feedback.
- Recommends additional education to clients to help them achieve their career goals.
- Helps clients write resumes and letters to prospective employers.
- Assists clients with job search skills, making contact with prospective employers and completing job applications.
- Helps clients explore colleges or trade school that match their career choices.
- Ensure proper referrals are made to support the overall success of clients referred.
- Assist in work or job preparation training by providing opportunities for job shadowing, onsite work training, and work/study placement.
- Offer guidance or vocational counseling to help clients achieve their academic or career goals while enrolled in a vocational training program.
- Coordinate the development of career awareness and explore activities as part of the career counseling process.
- Collaborate and interact with agencies that will refer clients to program through outreach, presentations, and referral process.
- Provide guidance and education on benefits and employment incentives, such as benefits counseling.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organization Skills.
- Project Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY NA
TRAVEL Required in St. Lawrence County regularly. Additional travel required for trainings and regional or statewide meetings.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
OTHER DUTIES This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.