Are you the kind of person who needs to help others to feel fulfilled? We’re looking for team-oriented professionals who are not only passionate about working with people with special needs, but who also value optimism, creativity, kindness and compassion! We’re proud of our company culture and if you think your values align with our mission and vision, we encourage you to apply!
We are looking for Direct Support Professionals in our Day Habilitation Program in St Lawrence County. If you would like to assist in the coordination of the total day program for the people we support stressing independence, inclusion and individualization with emphasis on the person’s choice while maintaining a person centered philosophy this could be for you. You must be progressive and proactive in providing for, arranging for, supervising and documenting services to people we support to assist with promoting growth toward increasing levels of independence. This is a full time 40 hour week position, flexible to the needs of the program.
Position Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalency required. Experience working with people diagnosed with a developmental and/or intellectual disability preferred. Good oral and written communication skills required. Must have a valid/acceptable New York State Driver’s License. Must be authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
Essential functions of position include – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Assist the people we support in achieving their valued outcomes and life goals. Promote the development of functional skills. Provide guidance to people we support with community activities; assist in arranging or providing transportation. Complete all required documentation in a timely fashion. Ensure that all services are documented and that all documentation is consistent with Waiver requirements and the Arc policy and procedure.
- Support staff will assist with documenting fire drills as outlined by regulation and departmental procedure.
- Communicate all needs of people we support to the QIDP, AHS and Habilitation Program Coordinator. Participate in support staff meetings and other discussions regarding program needs and needs of people we support.
- Provide adequate protective oversight at all times. Maintain a safe, comfortable and appropriate learning environment.
- Assist people we support when crisis intervention may be necessary. Responsible for the implementation and follow through of all ADL, interpersonal skill training and/or support programs for people in the Day Habilitation program, as directed by the QIDP and outlined in each person’s service plans.
- If designated, support staff shall be required to administer medications as directed by physicians’ orders and agency policy after successfully completing the OPWDD approved medication course and be required to maintain said certification.
- Shall report any illness or accident, or changes, or problems in a person’s medical status to the nurse and shall use the appropriate documentation procedure and follow instructions as given. Shall write incident reports as defined by Incident Review Procedures.
- Communicate all matters concerning physical plant to the AHS and Habilitation Program Coordinator.
Will be required to travel throughout county to participate in community outings, bring supported persons to appointments, events etc.
The work environment is a professional clinic, in the residence where the people we support attend our program services on a daily basis or in the community.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Premium Sign On Bonus Program: Effective May 3, 2021 –September 5, 2021
- Sign on Bonus of $500 after 3 months and $500 after 6 months (full time)
- Sign on Bonus of $250 after 3 months and $250 after 6 months (part time)
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence NY is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disabled/veteran.