POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK – Full time - 40 hours per week, flexible to the needs of the program.
Part time and per diem positions available as well.
QUALIFICATIONS - Licensed and registered with NYS Education Department as a Registered Professional Nurse.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – Will accept GN (Graduated Nurse) with the expectation that the NYS Registered Professional Nurse License is obtained in 90 days.
Additional Qualifications – Valid/acceptable NYS Driver’s License
Education and Experience - Experience with the developmentally disabled preferred
RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS – BLS Certification beneficial
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE – Must be authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE – Performs professional nursing duties within the standards of the NYS Nurse Practice Act, OPWDD regulations and Agencies Policy and Procedures. Acts as a medical advocate for individuals residing at The Arc of Jefferson – St. Lawrence NY. Serves as a liaison to community based physicians and medical service providers, ensuring the continuity of healthcare through the team approach. Provide triage, address medical concerns and provide health care services to persons in the residential and day programs in accordance with regulations. Provide medical direction and support to Support Staff as well as Residential, Day Habilitation and Preschool License Practical Nurses.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide medical oversight to all people we support and instruction to Support Staff.
- Prepare annual and semi-annual reports on assigned person supported; attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- Maintains medical records for assigned people we support. Information may include but is not limited to Nurse’s Notes (T-logs), MARs, treatment sheets, PRN Sheets, allergies, diagnostic testing records, immunizations, etc.
- Complete random skill assessments of Licensed Practical Nurse of assigned site. Document training and submit to Staff Development.
- Conduct random inspections of documentation pertaining to medication administration and observation of staff administering medication during unannounced visits. Annual and remedial observations will be completed as scheduled.
- Complete written protocols to provide Direct Support Professionals with step-by-step instructions for care regarding acute and chronic conditions, communicable diseases and complications/exacerbations. Provide training to all Support Staff regarding Protocols/Plans of Nursing Care. Randomly evaluate support staff for compliance of protocols.
- Ensure documentation related to nursing services and/or on-going medical concerns is completed, reviewed and concerns addressed. Address any significant changes in the wellbeing of the people we support to include in their weight or appetite. Enter pertinent medical information in Therap which will keep all Team members informed.
- Ensure all medication changes are addressed. Maintain current medication and treatment sheets for all people assigned. Maintain current listing of allergies and special needs (i.e. special diets, food sensitivities, photosensitivity and tetanus updates).
- In conjunction with the support staff schedule medical appointments as needed and/or required by regulation. Attend appointments where significant medical issues will be addressed.
- Review on-going nursing notes (T-logs) for noted concerns on not less than a weekly basis and as indicated. Ensure that day to day Nurses’ notes are appropriately completed by support staff. Provide training as needed.
- Maintain active participation on agency committees assigned.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organization Skills.
- Project Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY - Provide medical direction and support to Residential, Day Habilitation and Preschool License Practical Nurses. Supervise and instruct agency staff in the performance of those duties that unlicensed Direct Support Professionals are permitted to perform under the NYS Nurse Practice Act
TRAVEL – Reimbursed travel from site to site
WORK ENVIRONMENT – Independent work environment with a Team approach. Visit assigned residences no less than 1 time per week.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
OTHER DUTIES – This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Sign on Bonus for Regular full time and part time RN positions.
Full time sign on of $4000 paid in 4 installments. Part time sign on of $2000 paid in 4 installments.
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Disabled/Veteran