CLASSIFICATION – Non-Exempt
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK - Provides supervision and support to individuals with Intellectual and Developmental disabilities during daily transport. This is a split shift position with working hours from 6:30AM-9AM and 2:15PM -5PM, Monday-Friday. This position can work extra hours within the Day habilitation program as hours are available.
QUALIFICATIONS - High School Diploma or equivalency required. Experience working with people diagnosed with a developmental or intellectual disability preferred. Valid New York State Driver’s License.
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE – Authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
SUMMARY/OBJECTIVE - Serve as an aide on assigned bus run(s) to ensure safe and comfortable transport for each person being supported on the bus. Provide assistance to bus driver with loading and unloading of vehicles to ensure safe riding for each person we support.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Assist all passengers on and off the vehicle.
- Assist with securing wheelchairs, fastening seatbelts, etc. to ensure safe riding conditions for all people being supported on the assigned bus run.
- Provide assistance and behavioral support for people on assigned bus run(s) to help ensure safe transport of all passengers.
- Maintain a safe and comfortable atmosphere to help provide a pleasurable ride to and from day program.
- Communicate concerns that may arise to supervisor/administrator and transportation department immediately. Ensure documentation is completed in a timely manner as directed by supervisor.
- Assist driver during an emergency as per established emergency guidelines.
- Perform a walk thru of the vehicle at completion of each run to establish all persons and belongings are off the vehicle.
- Assist driver of assigned bus run with cleaning of vehicle at the end of the assigned run. Any concerns will be reported to Transportation Supervisor immediately.
- Provide adequate protective oversight at all times.
- If necessary and assigned, participate with meetings to discuss transportation concerns and needs.
- If designated, shall be required to administer medications as directed by physicians’ orders and agency policy after successfully completing the OPWDD approved medication course and be required to maintain said certification.
- Complete incident reports, if determined necessary, as defined by Incident Review Procedures.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete all required in-services, including SCIP-R, CPR and First Aid and van certification.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organization Skills.
- Project Management.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY – There are no supervisory responsibilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment is a professional clinic where the people we support attend our program services on a daily basis.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
OTHER DUTIES – This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AAP/EEO STATEMENT – The Arc Jefferson – St. Lawrence has and will continue to provide all employees and applicants’ equal opportunity in the manner provided by law in all aspects of employment regardless of their age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition, or carrier status, or marital status. These individuals will be recruited, referred for hiring consideration, and employed with regard to the positive and appropriate utilization of their skills and capabilities. Qualified employees will be afforded non-discriminatory consideration for promotion and job advancement, and there will be no discrimination with regard to assignments, rates of pay, promotions, transfers, training, termination, accessibility, working conditions, and benefits.